Ramadan is just around the corner, with just two weeks to go inshAllah! The most sacred of months, in which Muslims all over the world fast from sunrise to sunset. As we prepare for the holy month, we thought to share some of our favourite recipes using dates! Perfect for sharing with family and friends especially for a COVID Ramadan.
If you’re like me, then you’ve always got Medjoul Dates laying around. This year especially, I’ve got the sweetest Medjoul Dates from Palestine (you can buy yours here, if you haven’t done so already). Here are some quick recipes that you can add dates to and enjoy the sweetness all the way from Palestine.
Pick your favourite recipe(s)!
1. Still remember last year’s banana bread rave? Chop up 6-8 medjoul dates and add them to your bread batter. This adds the perfect amount of sweetness, best for when bananas aren’t ripe and you’re in the mood for a warm slice of banana bread.
2. This is my favourite smoothie – I blend this up at suhoor, not only is filing but wakes the entire family up. For one serving, you’ll need:
- 3 – 4 Medjoul Dates
- ¾ cup of milk (you can substitute with your choice of milk)
- ⅓ cup ice cubes
- Drop of vanilla extract
- Blend together, and you’re ready to go
3. Coconut Rolled Date Ball – perfect for opening your fast on the go or having a snack before suhoor.
- 15 Medjoul Dates
- ½ cup of almonds
- ½ cup of cashews
- Coconut flakes
- Take all your ingredients, add them to your food processor and blend until a sticky dough texture.
- Roll out balls, and sprinkle coconut flakes
- Set in refrigerator for 15 minutes or until cooled
4. Medjoul Oatmeal
- ½ cup of rolled oats
- ¾ milk (you can substitute with your choice of milk)
- 3 – 4 Medjoul Dates
- Simmer milk in a saucepan on a low heat, then add rolled oats – stir continuously until mixture thickens. Take the saucepan off heat, allow to cool and add in chopped dates. Mix together, add fresh berries(sliced strawberries go perfect with medjoul dates), and VOILA.
5. Hearty, arugula, spinach date salad
- 2 cups of spinach
- 1 cup of arugula
- 7 medjoul dates, pitted and sliced
- And your favourite dressing
- In a bowl add your spinach, arugula, along with any other greens of your choice. Roast your pecans, toss them into the bowl with greens. Top off with your sweet dates, making for the perfect balance between sweet and bitter.
6. Sweet Stuffed Medjoul Dates
- Medjoul dates
- Favourite spread – almond butter, nutella, biscoff spread
- Slice your medjoul date from the centre, replace the pit with almond, add a heaping tablespoon of your favourite spread and sprinkle with either coconut flakes or chopped pistachio.
7. Savoury Stuffed Dates
- Medjoul Dates
- Feta cheese or goat cheese
- Salt and pepper for flavour
- Extremely simple – add the cheese to the centre of the date, sprinkle salt and pepper. This is one of my favorite and go to date recipes! The sweetness from the dates and the saltiness from the cheese is a perfect fusion in your mouth.
We’ve got something for you! The key ingredient to all these quick and easy recipes above – Medjool Dates are available for purchase on our website. These dates are ethically sourced from Palestine, not only are they sweet but full of nutrition. These are the ONLY type of dates I prefer to use in the recipes above. So make sure to purchase yours today and share your Ramadan date recipes with us throughout the month. Above all, purchasing these dates not only allows you to make fun recipes but you will be helping the farmers of Palestine! It doesn’t get better than this…what’re you waiting for? Purchase your dates and get cooking!